Friday, July 19, 2013

牛骨らぁ麺 マタドール - Matador, Kita Senju


贅沢焼き牛らぁ麺しょうゆ - Zeitaku Shouyu Beef Ramen, ¥1000

    As I may have mentioned a few posts back, one of the popular ramen movements of 2011 or 2012 was gyuukotsu or beef-bone ramen, and leading in the popularity stakes has been Kita Senju's Matador. As you can see, they may have been expecting a few more customers but we were lucky enough to not have to wait and went straight in. My first trip here over 6 months ago wasn't so lucky and they had already run out of soup for the day.
  Being a somewhat famous ramen shop I couldn't help but go for the zeitaku shouyu (extravagant soy sauce) which comes at the rather extravagant price of ¥1000! There is also a shio one.


    There it is! I'd been waiting a long time for this one - gyuukotsu isn't so popular or even very well-known - and was curious to see how the pick of the bunch lined up against the more traditional flavours. It was pretty good. A definite level above the other gyuukotsu I had tried. There was an interesting egg in there somewhere, and some wild-looking menma, but the best touch was the shredded roast beef which would latch on to your chopsticks and would be floating around in your soup to the last drop.


    A good one. As I'm not much of a traditionalist I can see the place for this style of ramen, but I think that most people are not completely willing to accept it as more than a gimmick. Maybe we're still waiting for the next big thing in the ramen world to come along.



No comments:

Post a Comment