Saturday, March 19, 2011

桃天花 - Toutenka, Mikawashima


坦々つけ麺, Tantan Tsukemen ¥750

    Having lived in the area for about 9 months I felt it was time have a look around the local area and perhaps scout for a regular place to eat when I get the urge for ramen at home. Until now I have been going to Ichiran in Ueno since it's only a short trip away, or just eating whenever I'm out and about. However, it is always nice to become a regular at a local, friendly establishment - especially if you can bring other foreign friends and give them some business.


    According to the maps, Toutenka was one of the closest so that is where we decided to go. It is quite close to Mikawashima station, but in an area that probably doesn't get any foot traffic beyond the local residents, which could explain the lack of many customers (that could also be explained by us entering about 15 minutes before closing time. Sorry!).  The exterior, from the 'Open' sign to the faded red banner above the door,  makes Toutenka look like an average ramen store owned by an old couple that only gets by on it's loyal locals. The interior also seems a little old (rather like most of the restaurants in the older shitamachi part of Tokyo). The bookshelf full of manga in the corner completes the picture.



    However it is the ramen that brings the people in. I ordered the tan tan tsukemen and I was not at all disappointed (well, perhaps a little since it only came with half an egg). The tan tan soup, despite looking like as though you will need to keep your glass of water nearby is mild and offers just the right amount of spice, while the meat is not very greasy and rather lean for the health-conscious.



    There weren't a great deal of vegetables in the soup but the spinach was a nice touch. The chef's recommendation is that you finish your soup with some rice but since we arrived late that wasn't an option available to us.... Next time. Maybe with the curry tsukemen.


    I left feeling content (in my belly, and) that my first attempt to find a local shop was successful, and I truly felt for the disappointed couple who walked down the dark street up to Toutenka at about 5 past 9 because they really missed out.


カレー坦々麺, Curry Tantanmen ¥750

     As I said, Toutenka has taken the title as my local ramen shop so it would only seem natural that I would try lots of different things on the menu. So, curry ramen it is...


    It was actually a mistake ordering the ramen and not the tsukemen but that didn't really matter and was a good mistake to make. It is actually a real curry rather than just curry powder added to it and you can taste the difference. It is great and was the first time I had had potato in my ramen which was interesting, but their tan tan tsukemen is the business here. 


    Actually, the only we mistake we made was getting the extra rice to finish off our soup. It was way too much. But I did my best...


     I know this place is a little off the beaten path, and it could be a little bias since it's only 5 minutes away, but Toutenka is well worth a visit...


No comments:

Post a Comment