Tuesday, March 22, 2011

天下一品 - Tenkaippin, Kawasaki


チャーシューメン, Chashumen ¥970

     Introducing another of the popular chains that can be found in and around Tokyo, Tenkaippin. The first time I found myself at a Tenkaippin was at the Shinjuku branch after a few drinks in Kabukicho. As I remember, Tenkaippin was good but not necessarily the kind of ramen you want to be eating after a few drinks. It's too rich...


     This store in Kawasaki is a little different to most places in that the kitchen is located in the back so you can't see what is going on in the kitchen, which is probably a good thing since the staff all seem to be in their late teens anyway. And rather than admire the amazing haircuts on display across the counter as in Kabukicho, you can appreciate the stunning interior.


    The ramen itself is quite good but, as I said earlier, a little rich and very, very thick. I would almost consider it a gravy rather than a soup. Did I mention that the was thick? 



     I ordered the chashumen and was pretty pleased with it, although I tend to prefer the eggs cooked a little less so that the yolk is still a little runny, and the chashu is a little greasy, however it is a good size and left me feeling quite content.


    Perhaps the "We're waiting for you again tomorrow" message inside the bowl is a little presumptuous, but I did manage to make it to the end. Though, you do have to wonder though how many days on end you could visit Tenkaippin before it all became too much.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment